TRADITIONAL FISHING, DEEP SEA FISHING
A favorite destination for sport fishing enthusiasts, the waters surrounding Mauritius are known
for their biodiversity. We’ll take you fishing whether you’re a beginner or seasoned hobbyist.
From the exploration of the lagoon to the adrenaline of the high sea,
let yourself embark on a great maritime adventure.
THEIR FIRST CATCH
Above all, we love taking younger people out to fish. Why? Because the passion for fishing is passed on.
The lagoon offers an ideal setting for an introduction to the hobby – a calm sea, clear waters and an abundance of fish.
It’s the perfect opportunity for anyone to have fun learning the basics ! A beautiful and proud moment to share with
family or friends. For those looking for a bit more excitement, we can offer you an introduction to deep sea fishing.
Mauritius has made a name for itself among aficionados within the sport as the ideal
location to discover this extraordinary type of fishing.
What types of big fish can you catch in Mauritius ?
- Blue marlin: commonly fished from November to April. It can frequently weigh several hundred pounds.
- Black marlin: cousin of the blue marlin, this is the other giant in the family. It’s distinguished by its pectoral fins, which are rigid and perpendicular to the body.
- Sailfish: very fast and exciting to fish, it can weigh between 15 and 70 kilos. Often confused with the swordfish, it actually belongs to the same family as the marlin.
- Swordfish: distinguished by its flattened bill and large eyes, similar to those of predators. It’s rarely fished because its hunting activity is mostly nocturnal.
- Dolphin fish bream: sought for its excellent and tender flesh, it weighs between 5 and 35 kilos.
- Yellowfin tuna: mainly found in March and April, its weight varies from 15 to 100+ kilos.
- Spearfish: present year round, this aggressive fish weighs between 10 and 80 kilos.
- Skipjack tuna: the most commonly caught fish, its weight ranges between 3 and 20 kilos. When you come upon a school of them, it’s not uncommon to catch a bunch.
- Striped tuna (also called skipjack): very aggressive fish with lots of fight, weighing between 3 and 25 kilos.
- Wahoo: also called banana tuna or frigate mackerel, it can measure up to 2.5 meters. Be careful of its extremely sharp teeth. This is a fast and very predatory fish that can be found year round.
- Dogtooth tuna: its weight fluctuates between 10 and 100+ kilos. It’s fished near the reef and is found in Mauritian waters year round.